Thursday, March 12, 2009

Answered Prayers?

During clinical/lab this afternoon I got a phone call from my chiropractor, and don't think my heart wasn't about to come out of my chest when I saw his number. Lucky for me the call came outside a patient room because I would have answered it if I'd been in the Oval office receiving the Medal of Honor, let alone in a patient room. It's just better because now I don't have to explain myself.

Anyway, the CT w/ contrast came back "largely unremarkable with no evidence of soft tissue trauma, mediastinal mass, or large vessel aneurysm."

The radiologist was dumbfounded, comparing my first chest X-ray and my second X-ray 24 hrs later that were identical, to the CT done 24 hrs after that. She doesn't have an explanation as to why it resolved so quickly. I don't have a logical explanation as to why either. There is no logical explanation.

I'm not necessarily one to cling to the idea of miracles. I do believe they happen, but I also know that it's probably not best to depend on them. In my mind I keep ending up at the same logically illogical explanation.

So, it is with great humbleness and eternal gratefulness that I thank those of you that prayed for intercession on my behalf. Maybe that's what did it, maybe I'm just a freaky fast healer. Regardless, I'm not man enough to deny that a miraculous healing has occurred.


Today was our final day of the semester in our clinical labs. The rest of our clinical days will be spent at our assigned hospital. Frankly I'm relieved because it ends my interaction with the other clinical instructors. I'm not sure how, but mostly by pure dumb luck, I managed to situate myself to be instructed by the best clinical instructor in all of Junior 1. Since it was the last day, we filled out evaluation forms about our experience in lab--another answer to prayer I think. I hate to admit it, but I took a small measure of joy in professionally (and ever so respectfully) expressing my dissatisfaction with two of the clinical instructors. I was not the only one.

Today was medication administration to 'standardized patients' (actors) and it was a completely draining experience. Obviously the patients couldn't take the drugs, even if they were real. It was so tough to figure out where the acting began and real life began. On one hand they'd tell us information we needed to know for the scenario completely lucidly, but then turn around and try and trick us with their acting. Really tough. The woman faking Alzheimer's that threw her crushed medication mixed with chocolate pudding across the room, all over the bed, floor, and wall was taking it just a little too far. I had to give her a SQ injection of heparin too--real needle into an injection pad she had positioned on her abdomen. When she became combative and nearly made me stick myself, it truly pissed me off. It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. There is no valuable lesson to be learned there in my opinion. But that's just me.


As so as I got home from clinical lab, I immediately went to my other job--Mr. Mom. I have the kids pretty much to myself from this evening until Sunday afternoon when my wife gets up. My last time to myself was last Sunday evening following my car wreck which I spent frantically studying for my Foundations exam. (Which I somehow managed to pull at 87 on, despite being completely in pain and only studying for 2 hours for.) Oh well, that's what being a dad means, right?


  1. I am so happy that everything was clear. Phew! Miracles do happen. :) As far as clinical lab....I just don't understand this whole actor thing. That just seems like it's a little silly. I don't get it, but then again, nursing schools has always done things their own way. I agree that throwing the pudding across the room is going a bit too far. These actors sure take this thing seriously huh? I think I would have laughed. How do you approach them with a straight face and furthermore, who are these people? Are they paid? Are they staff or volunteers? It's just bizarre to me.

    I'm really glad that you're ok. I hate waiting on news and am just so glad that prayers were answered. If there is one thing I know for sure, it's that God is good!

  2. Dang, what a wk you've had. I totally believe in prayer and miracles. And I keep reminding myself of James 1:17 (New International Version)
    17Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

    So....when good or perfect things happen, I try to remember, they are from Him,not just happenstance.

    I am so happy you are well, thank you God.

  3. Quick to respond, slow to post...been sending positive energy your way since your last posting.

    So very, very glad to hear that you are OK, and that everything is working out as it should. I guess the stars finally lined up:)

    Have a blast with the kids this weekend!

  4. I have almost been stabbed with a loxapine filled syringe, for an obviously combative patient. I have learned to bring extra nurses along to hold hands and legs, or distract.

  5. I just found out about your accident. I'm so glad the scan came out clear.

    Yay for the miracle! I'll be praying for your continued healing.

  6. Thank you all!

    Christy--they are paid actors from the general public. Supposed to give us a more realistic point of view.

    Heather--thank you!

    SAMTNS--Thanks bud, I appreciate it!

    Dana--when I was working as a pharm tech I worked in the IV room. The last time I stuck myself was with 20,000unit/ml heparin that I was diluting. My finger bled for 4 hours.

    Curdie--thank you dear!

  7. Nope no cancer for me. Just a nutrition class thing! Im sorry you are a traffic disaster waiting to happen.

    I once got rear ended in my car three weeks in a row. Sometimes I really do believe I was a viking in a previous life and I am getting my karmic revenge!