Thursday, November 20, 2008

Post Secret

I'm sure there's not many of you that don't know of the famous Post Secret blog. The premise is simple, one creates a postcard revealing the deepest secrets that couldn't possibly be shared with people already known, and then mails them to the creator of Post Secret. Each Sunday he selects several and posts them to the blog. It's been fascinating to watch this phenomenon grow like wildfire. I've been following the blog for about 2 years now, and the it's grown to be HUGE. There are multiple Post Secret books published and there are regular nationwide Post Secret events. Most recently Post Secret has hit Myspace, but with a twist.

While the Post Secret Myspace blog shows 6 different secrets than the main blog, that isn't what's made it such a huge hit. Instead, viewers are encouraged to leave their cell phone numbers in the comment sections, and people are texting their secrets back and forth with total strangers. It's created a huge buzz, some good, some bad. Myspace is freaking out wondering what their liability is if someone gets hurt as a result of posting their personal info for the world to see. Most are astounded at the depth of honesty and community the act of confessing secrets to a total stranger creates.

I'm an adventurous guy, so I did it. I posted my cell number. And I've been texted by several different people. And in two of the cases, a running conversation resulted that I think was therapeutic for both parties involved. It's been an interesting experience for sure.

I'll probably do it again.

And because I know you're dying to check it out: Post Secret on Myspace.

1 comment:

  1. I never miss it, I only wish, he'd put up a couple each day. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete